Installing WHMCS manually
This guide walks you through downloading the latest version of WHMCS from within the Krystal Client Area and installing it.
Prior to installing WHMCS it's important to ensure you have met the WHMCS System Requirements.
- installing WHMCS in it's own cPanel account.
- selecting the latest PHP version supported, and increasing PHP memory_limit to 512Mb and max_execution_time to 300.
- ensuring you have added a LetsEncrypt SSL certificate to the domain you're going to install WHMCS on.
- ensure Ioncube_loader, soap and xmlrpc are enabled.
escapeshellargif you want to use the WHMCS Update Utility) is removed from the disabled functions list.
- create a MySQL database and user for WHMCS.
Required permissions for the MySQL user are DELETE, INSERT, SELECT, UPDATE, LOCK TABLES and additionally during installation, upgrade, activating & deactivating modules ALTER, CREATE, DROP & INDEX.
We have a separate guide on changing PHP versions, enabling extensions and changing options.
We also have a guide on using Installatron to install WHMCS - which achieves a similar result, but will create the database for you during the installation.
- Login to your Krystal Client Area
- Click Hosting from the menu bar or under Your services.
- Identify your reseller package and click the Manage button
- Click WHMCS License in the left hand menu
- Click the Download Vx.x.x button
- Find the downloaded WHMCS_vxxx_full.zip file on your system and extract the zip file using your preferred zip tool.
- Within the extracted folder you'll see a whmcs directory - upload the contents of this directory to the /public_html directory (or folder) where you want to setup WHMCS using an FTP client. Alternatively you could select all the files/directories inside the whmcs folder and zip them up, upload that .zip file to your /public_html directory (or other folder) using cPanel File Manager and then un-zip it once it's uploaded (then delete the zip file you uploaded).
- Your server view within cPanel File Manager or your FTP client once you've uploaded whmcs should look something like this - with the admin and other files/directories directly inside your /Public_html directory (or other folder).
- Find the file name configuration.php.new and rename is to configuration.php
- Once you've uploaded the files you should visit https://your-domain.co.uk/install - replacing your-domain.co.uk with your actual domain.Click the I Agree button to accept the license agreement.
- WHMCS will perform some System Requirements checks and if all pre-requisite steps have been completed successfully it should pass.Click Begin Installation to continue.
- You'll now need your WHMCS license key, and the details of the database and database user you created in the pre-requisites.Enter the WHMCS license key, Database Username, Database Password and Database Name for the MySQL database and user you create.
- You'll now be prompted to setup the Admin user.Enter all the details required and click Complete Setup to continue.
- Once the installation completes you'll see the final screen detailing some further actions that need to be completed before you can start using WHMCS.
- The first instruction is to delete the /install/ folder - you won't be able to access WHMCS until you do this. You can complete this using either cPanel File Manager or your FTP client.
- The remaining two steps each have separate guide - you should complete them in order.
- Securing/Hardening your WHMCS Installation (second instruction - Secure the writeable directories)
- Setting up the WHMCS CRON job (third instruction - Setup the Daily CRON job)
- Once you've completed those guides you can click Go to the Admin Area Now you'll be presented with the WHMCS post-installation wizard.