Setting up Microsoft Outlook on Windows & Apple Mac
This guide walks you through setting up an email account in the Microsoft Outlook email on your PC or Apple Mac. The images in this guide were taken on an Apple Mac - but the PC version is virtually identical.
There are now two options for setting up your email client. Option 1 is preferred, but does have some prerequisites.Option 1 - Use mail.your.domain for inbound and outbound mail server (IMAP Hostname and SMTP Hostname) e.g. if your domain is example.co.uk you would use mail.example.co.ukPrerequisites: Your domain’s A record (for mail.your.domain) must be pointing to your Krystal hosting server. If your domain is registered with Krystal then this is likely the case.You must have SSL enabled for the domain. Once your domain is correctly pointing to Krystal a free Let's Encrypt™ certificate will be issued automatically.If you meet these requirements then you can use the format mail.your.domain for the inbound (IMAP Hostname) and outbound (SMTP Hostname) mail servers in the instructions below e.g. if your domain is example.co.uk then you would use mail.example.co.uk as the inbound and outbound mail server names.This option has the benefit of meaning that should you change hosting servers at any point you won’t need to re-configure any email clients. Once the DNS has updated for your new server A record the clients will continue to be able to send and receive email.Option 2 - use the server hostname for inbound and outbound mail serverThis option has no prerequisites. However, you should be aware that if you use this method, and at a later date change hosting servers you will need to re-configure any email clients.If you are a reseller this would also impact all your client accounts.
- If this is your first time using Outlook and you don't have any mail accounts setup already you may see a splash screen asking you to enter your email address. If not, select Account... from the Tools menu.
- Then click Add Email Account
- Enter the email address you'd like to add
- Outlook should autodetect the email server as IMAP. Enter your email account password and then click Add Account.Sometimes Outlook will either fail to, or wrongly detect your mail account type. If it shows anything other than IMAP, click to configure manually and select IMAP, then enter the required details. You'll need your mail server details to enter incoming and outgoing server names and ports.
- Finally click Done to complete the setup