How to view AWStats without logging into cPanel
AWStats is a log analyser that can be access via your hosting accounts cPanel to view your hosting access logs graphically.
It is however, also possible to have your stats visible on a web page, so they can be viewed without logging in to cPanel.
This is an advanced topic. If it doesn't work out, then please re-read the instructions and make sure you have followed them correctly. Your raw stats are normally stored in your home-directory/access-logs directory.
- We strongly recommend you create a subdomain (e.g. stats.mydomain.com) to host your stats website. Make a note of the physical path of the virtual root for your subdomain. This will be something like
public_html/subdomain/If you wish to place your AWStats in your cPanel's primary domain then the physical path in your home directory will be just
- Download the latest stable release of AWSstats from SourceFourge (external link).
- Extract the downloaded file locally.
- Upload the extracted
icondirectories into the virtual root of your domain. If you were installing AWStats into the public_html/ folder it should end up looking something like this once you have finished copying the files and directories:
│ ├── awdownloadcsv.pl
│ ├── awredir.pl
│ ├── awstats.model.conf
│ ├── awstats.pl
│ ├── lang
│ ├── lib
│ └── plugins
- In the uploaded
awstats.plfiles to 755
- Download a copy of the existing cPanel AWStats config file from your home directory at tmp/awstats/awstats.mydomain.conf (replace mydomain with your own domain name to determine what yours is called).Edit this file and look for the line beginning with Diricons, which probably looks like this:
Just change this to:
Then, save the file, and upload it to the
cgi-bindirectory, overwriting the existing one.
- You should now be able to browse to your stats at
Replace stats.mydomain.com with your stats domain name (e.g. stats.mydomain.com if you created a subdomain, or just mydomain.com if you elected to install in /public_html)
Replace mydomain on the end with the domain the stats relate to.